Pork & Sauerkraut
for 5 litre saucepan – serves 8 – 10
- 1.5 kg pork cut in small chunks
- 1 medium onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 4 tbsp paprika
- sunflower oil
- pepper (salt is not needed as the sauerkraut is salty!)
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 green capsicum
- 1.5 kg sauerkraut
- 1 cup sour light cream
- 1 tbsp plain or corn flour
- fresh parsley (preferably flat leaf)
- fresh dill
- Fry onions in oil till glassy, add paprika and mix well – do not leave on heat too long as paprika will go bitter!
- On a high heat add pork and garlic and brown all over.
- Add pepper, marjoram and caraway seeds.
- Just cover with water and let simmer for about an hour and a half with lid on.
- Finely chop capsicum, tomato and add once meat is quite soft.
- Up to this point this is the same as a basic pörkölt.
- Add sauerkraut and mix well keeping on a medium heat.
- Cook for about another half an hour – not too long as the sauerkraut should be slightly crunchy.
- Mix the sour cream and flour well and add to the meat and sauerkraut, mixing in well.
- Top with finely chopped parsley and dill to serve.