Greek Beef Stew
- 1 kg beef cut into large cubes (chuck steak is best for this)
- 1 kg small onions
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ bottle passata
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf, 4 cloves
- Peel onions and cut to about same size as beef pieces (about 4 cm square).
- Heat olive oil in heavy based saucepan add onions and beef and brown over high heat, turning constantly.
- Add salt and pepper, mix well.
- Add passata and red wine, lower heat and simmer for about 2 hours with lid on.
- Check from time to time and don’t let stick on the bottom!
- Mix in cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and cloves and cook for a further hour. The meat should fall apart, the onions should have turned almost to jam and the sauce should be quick thick. Serve with potatoes, mashed or new and a good Greek salad.