White, Basmati or Jasmine – if you cook brown rice – well you know how to cook that!
I have been cooking rice this way since 1983 when an Iranian friend in Sydney showed me her secret.
- The quantity of rice you need – if you know me I always cook too much! I believe the correct way to judge is 1 cup of uncooked rice = 3 cups of cooked rice…
- When you end up with too much rice you make Tony Joseph’s Fried Rice the next night for dinner!
- A little sunflower oil.
- Boiling water from the kettle.
- Soak rice for a while and rinse.
- Choose you heavy based saucepan according to the quantity of rice you are cooking.
- Boil kettle.
- Put saucepan on the smallest flame. Cover the bottom of saucepan with sunflower oil and heat through.
- Add drained rice and mix well.
- Pour on boiling water until rice is covered by about a first thumb knuckle. Try putting the dry end of a wooden spoon in to gauge correctly!
- Cover with a lid that fits well.
- If you have a heat diffuser, put it under the saucepan.
- Turn heat to lowest and leave until all water is evaporated.
- Rice is done!