Chocolate Birthday Cake
Preheat oven to 180°C
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 tbsp good Dutch cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar Morello cherries
- In a large bowl mix well flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add vanilla, milk, oil and eggs and beat well.
- Butter and flour 25cm cake tin – this recipe will make 1 cake – double if wanting a layer cake.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Take out and allow to cool a bit then after running a knife around the edge turn out onto a rack. While cooking prepare Ganache (below).
- 280 g dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup cream
- Heat cream slowly – don’t let boil.
- Add broken up pieces of chocolate and stir constantly while chocolate melts.
- Keep stirring until consistently dark brown and smooth.
- Put in fridge for about an hour.
- Put cake on a nice plate.
- When ganache has a smooth and spreadable consistency use a knife to spread on the cake covering top and sides. Decorate how you would like. Our favourite has always been pitted Morello cherries – but there have been variations!