- 340 g softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 5 eggs – separated
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 jars of Morello cherries (Coles or Aldi) – breadcrumbs and a little sunflower oil
- Put softened (room temperature) butter in a bowl with half the sugar and mix well, with electric mixer, until softened.
- Add eggs yolks and keep mixing.
- Add flour and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites with the other half of sugar until stiff – standing up in peaks.
- With a wooden spoon fold the egg whites into the flour butter and egg yolk mixture mixture.
- Oil the baking pan – 22cm x 30cm – with sunflower oil and some breadcrumbs.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan.
- Drain the cherries from the jars (drink that juice!) and pour the cherries over the mixture in the pan, distribute well.
- Cook for about half an hour to 40 mins at 160°C for about 3-minutes.